XAMPP is a completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. It provides basic infrastructure like an HTTP server, database and scripting language for your local WordPress Installation. You can create a testing instance for the production environment. It is open source software released by apache-friends under GNU General Public License. Apache Friends is a non-profit project to promote the Apache web server and is home to the XAMPP project.
There are other tools like WAMP, MAMP, LAMP, WAPP, MAPP, LAPP, Nginx and HHVM available in the market. In this article, I will show you how to install XAMPP on Windows.
XAMPP Installation on Windows
Download it for windows and click on file to start the installation. It is a wizard-driven installation where it asks for the setup option like components, folder, etc. You can change it, but let it be the default.
Click Yes and OK for below warning given by installer for Antivirus and Windows UAC. It should install without any issue, but if you face issue disable anti-virus temporarily. Make sure you are not connected to the internet when antivirus is not running and do not forget to enable it again.
It seems you have an antivirus running. In some cases, this may slow down or interfere the installation of the software. Please visit the following link to learn more about this.
Continue with installation?
Important! Becuase an activated User Account Control(UAC) on your system some functions of XAMPP are possibly restricted.with UAC please avoid to install XAMPP to C:\Program Files (x86) (missing write permissions). Or deactivate UAT with msconfig after this setup.
Here Setup Wizard welcomes you. Click Next to continue installation.
Choose components like Apache, MySQL, FileZilla FTP Server, etc which you want to install. I have selected all as it can also be used as a server when designing web using PHP and MySQL. You need only Apache, PHP and phpMyAdmin for WordPress.
- Apache – It is HTTP Web Server. A web server is a computer system that processes requests via HTTP, the basic network protocol used to distribute information on the World Wide Web. The term can refer to the entire system, or specifically to the software that accepts and supervises the HTTP requests( Source Wikipedia)
- MySQL – The world’s most popular open source database. It is actually MariaDB as per the XAMPP.
- FileZilla FTP Server – It is FTP server to transfer file from client to server and vice-versa
- Mercury Mail Server – It is internet email server
- Tomcat – The Apache Tomcat® software is an open-source implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Expression Language and Java WebSocket technologies
- PHP and Perl – Programming Language
- phpMyAdmin – It is a free and open source tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL or MariaDB with the use of a web browser.
- Webalizer – The Webalizer is a web server log file analysis program which produces usage statistics in HTML format for viewing with a browser
- Fake Sendmail – Sendmail is a mail server that runs on *nix. (fake) sendmail included with the windows version of XAMPP pretends to send mail, but really just forwards the email, usually to your ISP’s SMTP server
Choose default and click Next. If you are not admin on the desktop, do not install it under program files as you may not have access to these folders.
Bitnami provides one-click installation of popular software like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. If you want to know more about it click on below check box, else uncheck it.
That’s it. Post this Installation will start.
Installation is complete and you are ready to use XAMPP server.Check if you want to open the control panel and click on finish.
Start XAMPP control panel
Goto Windows -> Start -> XAMPP Control Panel to launch it. This is how the control panel looks. You can see Start/Stop, Admin, Config and Logs for each of component installed. Click on start/stop for respective service. You need to start Apache and MySQL for WordPress.
That’s’ it and you are ready with your own Apache and PHP development environment. Check below article to understand XAMPP Control Panel.
Let me know if you found this article helpful in the comments section below and share it.