When developing software or scripting, a code editor that suits your workflow can make a significant difference in productivity. Notepad++, a favorite among developers, boasts an array of useful features that can be further extended by plugins.
One such highly practical plugin is NppExport.
This article will guide you through installing this plugin using both the Plugin Admin and manually. We’ll also discuss how to use it.
NppExport Plugin for Notepad++
NppExport is a powerful Notepad++ plugin designed to enhance the versatility of your coding workflow. It primarily functions to export your code or text from Notepad++ to other formats, while maintaining syntax highlighting. This functionality can prove incredibly useful when you’re preparing a report, documentation, or a web page that involves preformatted code.
The plugin offers several options for exporting and copying your text or code, including to Rich Text Format (RTF), HTML, or directly to your clipboard in multiple formats. This means you can easily share your color-coded code across various applications, helping to maintain readability and structure.
The NppExport plugin for Notepad++ provides several useful features:
- Export to RTF (Rich Text Format) This feature allows you to export your current document or selection to a new RTF file. RTF files preserve the formatting and syntax highlighting of your code, which can be very useful when you want to share or print the code.
- Export to HTML Like the RTF export, this feature lets you export your current document or selection to a new HTML file. The exported HTML file will preserve the syntax highlighting of your code.
- Copy All Formats to Clipboard This feature copies all available formats (text, RTF, HTML) to the clipboard. This allows you to paste your code with its syntax highlighting into another application that accepts pasted text in RTF or HTML format.
- Copy HTML to Clipboard This feature copies the HTML format of your code to the clipboard. This is particularly useful when you want to paste your code into a web-based application or an HTML editor.
- Copy RTF to Clipboard This feature copies the RTF format of your code to the clipboard. This can be useful when you want to paste your code into a word processor that accepts RTF format.
These features make the NppExport plugin particularly valuable for users who often need to share or present their code in a formatted manner, such as in documentation, presentations, or web pages.
Install NppExport Plugin inNotepad++
To install NppExport Plugin, Open Notepad++ and navigate to Plugins-> Plugin Admin. Search NppExport Plugin in the Available Tab.
Select and click the install button.
You will be prompted to restart Notepad++ to complete the plugin installation. Click ‘Yes’ to restart.
After restarting Notepad++, the NppExport plugin will be installed and ready to use.
If you are unable to install the NppExport plugin through the Plugin Admin, you can do it manually.
- Go to the official plugins page (https://github.com/JetNpp/NppExport/tree/master/bin).
- Download the .dll of the NppExport plugin to your local machine.
- Copy the files to your Notepad++ plugins directory, which is usually found at C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins (if you installed the 64-bit version of Notepad++) or C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins (for the 32-bit version).
- Restart Notepad++. If done correctly, you should now see the NppExport plugin in the Plugins menu.
Using the NppExport Plugin
The NppExport plugin provides options to export your code or text in different formats. Here’s how you can use it:
- After installing the plugin, go to the ‘Plugins’ option on the Notepad++ toolbar.
- Select ‘NppExport’ from the dropdown menu.
- You’ll see a list of options like ‘Export to RTF’, ‘Export to HTML’, and ‘Copy all formats to clipboard’. Choose the one that suits your needs.
The NppExport plugin is particularly useful when you need to copy and paste your code into other applications without losing the syntax highlighting. For instance, if you’re preparing a report or documentation in Word or creating a web page with preformatted code, the ‘Export to RTF’ or ‘Export to HTML’ options can come in handy.
These features make the NppExport plugin a must-have for every Notepad++ user. Hopefully, this guide helps you install and use the NppExport plugin in Notepad++. Happy coding!