This article explains how to install the GCompris Educational suite on Ubuntu Linux
GCompris is a completely free, high-quality educational software suite which include a large number of activities for children aged 2 to 10. Currently, it offers more than 100 activities, and more are being developed. The activities are game orientated but educational.
It helps you kid in learning functioning of the computer, using the mouse and keyboard, general learning, reading, writing, foreign languages, algebra, as well as various activities such as memory and logic games, scientific experiments, etc
Below is the complete list of activities,
- computer discovery – keyboard, mouse, touchscreen
- reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text …
- arithmetic: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table …
- science: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy …
- geography: countries, regions, culture …
- games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe …
- other: colors, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time …
How to install on Ubuntu
Gcompris is available for Windows, Android, macOS, GNU/Linux, Raspberry Pi, Source code. It is free for Linux, but Windows, Mac, and others may need activation code.
You can check this link to download and get additional information.
GCompris is available in default Ubuntu repository. Just use below command to search it.
apt-cache search gcompris gcompris - Educational games for small children - transitional package gcompris-qt - Educational games for small children - Qt rewrite gcompris-qt-data - data files for gcompris-qt
- gcompris – package in GTK+
- gcompris-qt – package in GTK+ Qt rewrite
You need to install gcompris-qt as gcompris is no longer updated
Login to Ubuntu and open terminal and run below command to install GCompris on Ubuntu. This installs Gcompris along with all necessary library.
sudo apt-get install gcompris-qt
Go to Activities and Search for Gcompris to launch it. Below is the dashboard.
Gcompris is basic and good educational software suite for your kid. So go ahead and install it.